Monday, August 5, 2013

The Phantom of the Opera At Grand Ledge High School Version



Now, we all know how many different high school versions there are of Les Mis, Phantom and all those other great musicals. I hadn't seen any high school or non-professional versions of either. That was until yesterday and the day before yesterday. I was listening to the "Rehearsal for Don Juan Triumphant" scene of Phantom 25, and everyone has seen those "suggested videos" alongside the screen. One caught my eye and my full undivided attention. It was called The Phantom of the Opera ACT 1{FULL} High School Stage. My goodness, that was amazing! Here is the cast, I'm so sorry the list is so short, but that's all the names I could find.
The Phantom of the Opera
At Grand Ledge High School
*I Do Not Own Picture 
Erik (The Phantom): Robert Mueller
Christine Daaé: Erin Fillingham
Vicomte de Chagny Raoul: Tyler Lorencen
Carlotta: Nicole Paparelli

Mueller's voice was amazing. He was almost at par with Ramin Karimloo. His acting was spot on. You could see his emotions. Anger in The Final Lair, hurt and confusion in All I Ask Of You (First Reprise), sadness at the end of The Final Lair, and yeah. With a little more training and experience, he could go far. That's all I'm going to say. If I wanted to rant and rave, this would be MUCH longer, but I won't. Alright, Fillingham was a good Christine. When she sang her part in "The Phantom of the Opera" song, it was almost a mix of Emmy Rossum and Sierra Boggess. She was good, but I think she needs just a little more training. Acting wise: Phenomenal! For her, other than that, Brava, Brava, Bravissima! Now, we come upon Lorencen, who played Raoul. I don't know if his voice is developed yet. He struck a few notes wrong, and his acting wasn't all too great. His words seemed stiff, and in the scene "Think Of Me", there was no happiness, surprise, or joy that he has met up with his childhood friend. There are more scenes like that, but it was all right. Madame Giry. Oh. My. Goodness. This Madame Giry was excellent. Her staff stabbing the ground was AWESOME! Her voice, beautiful, her acting even better! Meg Giry, I was not impressed. Her voice, is okay, and I don't she performed too much. Carlotta was brilliant, singing and acting wise.
The Phantom of the Opera
Poor Fool, He Makes Me Laugh Scene
*I Do Not Own Picture

Now, I have told before how much I love Monsieur Firmin and Andre, but sadly in this version, they replaced Monsieur Andre with a girl, now named Ana. The guy who played Firmin was good, but I was not thoroughly impress with the girl who played Ana.

Scenery and sets were spot on, and they even had the chandelier, and it FELL!!!!!!!! Erik's lair was the best scenery ever! They had the large gate thingy, all of the candelabras, the monkey box, even the boat!!! One thing that I saw, was they used a keyboard as the organ. I kinda wished they would have used a real organ. This entire thing, I believe, was about or over (I don't know which) $80,000, whereas a normal one would cost only $10,000. The whole thing was funded by all kinds of fundraisers and all sorts of things. I was thoroughly impressed with this performance. It looks as if everyone was very dedicated to doing this, and I wouldn't blame them! Now, there's one sad thing about being home schooled (not really, homeschooling is awesome!) But sadly, our "school", will never get to put on a great show like Phantom. Alas, I would never work as Christine Daaé. Why, you may ask? Because, and I'm no genius, I don't think I am a soprano. I think I am a mezzo-soprano. AKA, I cannot hit Christine's high note in Think Of Me or her High E at the end of The Phantom of the Opera. That, and Cosette or Eponine would be my absolute dream rolls. Too bad I'll never get the chance. Either way, this performance was brilliant. You can see how this was well-organized, not just some silly musical just thrown together. I really appreciate the dedication and the will put into this. And I'm sure I'm not the only one. 4 and 3/4 stars out of 5 for me! Brava, Brava, Bravissima! Now click Link 1 for Part 1 and Link 2 for Part 2. The video quality was excellent, as was sound! You will not regret it!!! I was very satisfied with this version, and I hope you will be too!
P.S. I'm so sorry about the bad quality of the photographs! These were the best I could find.

The Phantom of the Opera
I'm Not Sure If This Was From
The Phantom Of The Opera Scene
Or The Music Of The Night
*I Do Not Own Picture
The Phantom of the Opera
Scene From Think Of Me
*I Do Not Own Picture































If You Choose To Watch This, What Do You Think Of The Cast? Tell Me Your Opinion In The Comments Box Below!

4 comments:

  1. Excellent post. I was checking constantly this blog and I am impressed!

    Very useful info specially the last part :) I care for such info a
    lot. I was looking for this particular info for a very long time.

    Thank you and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the admin of this web site is truly working hard for his site, as here every information is quality
    based material.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thoroughly enjoyed this excellent production. Bravo to the stars and the cast and the director!

    ReplyDelete

Everyone has a voice; Make yours heard. Comment below to let me know your thoughts!