Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Celebrate Musicals Week: Day 2: Song Comparisions & Tag!!!!



Alright. I've selected five songs to do comparisons on. Our Competitors: The 25th Anniversary and the POTO 2004 Movie. These were the songs I thought were the best to compare.

1. Think Of Me
Emmy's voice is probably great to people. For me, it's not my favorite. I love the way Sierra was so nervous that she tried to run off stage before Madame Giry stabbed the ground. Goodness, I would want to run too! But, I probably would have actually ran off, instead of sing!! All Emmy did was take a step further and her once grew louder. Sierra grew louder, more confident and she basically felt like now she was in her comfort zone. Sierra wins, hands down.

2. The Phantom Of The Opera
The Phhhaaaannnnntttttooommmmm to the opera is tttthhhheeeeerrrrrrreeee!!!!!! Insiiiiiddddeeee my mmmiiiinnnndddddd!!!!! This is one of the best songs in the musical. A total given, as we Phans know. Sierra and Ramin make the best Erik and Christine. Emmy's singing irks me. I don't know why. Like the way she say the line "and speaks my name". She rushes the "my name" part, and it doesn't sound good. I love how Sierra chooses to stretch the line out. Gerard Butler's voice is too high for my taste. Ramin's is low and mysterious. Ramin, Sierra and Hadley. You could never find a better cast.

3. Notes
Another one of my favorite songs. Barry James and Gareth Snook make this song!!!! Add Hadley Fraser, Wendy Ferguson, Wynne Evans and Liz Robertson, you've got the perfect cast. I would have probably loved the "notes" from the movie, if they would have sang the notes instead of Patrick Wilson reading them. The men who play André and Firmin in the movie seem stiff without any emotion. I love Wendy's anger toward Hadley. Especially the "Where is he! Your precious patron, where is he?" best line of hers!!! I love how Gareth and Barry made the scene a bit comedic!!! I love a good laugh!

4. All I Ask Of You
Both versions are good, Sierra and Hadley win.

5. Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again
Sierra wins. She has a spectacular voice and great acting skills. Emmy Rossum didn't sound sad, angry, desperate, THERE WAS NO EMOTION!!!!!! THE MOST EMOTION SHE SHOWS IN THE MOVIE WAS AT TEH SCENE OF THE "FINAL LAIR"!!!!! Sierra's voice and actions tells that she is begging for her father to help her!!! She turns from wondering, sad and then desperate. How can it get better than that?

What Are Your Favorite Versions Of These Songs??? Comment Your Thoughts!!!

The Tag!!!
So, this is the tag from Miss Dashwood's Blog "Yet Another Period Drama Blog" and these are the Q & A.


1.  What musical did you pick to "spotlight" this week and why?
Well, I picked The Phantom of the Opera, because:
A. I knew quite a lot of bloggers would be doing Les Misérables
B. I absolutely love Phantom (POTO and Les Mis tie)
C. It's just a great musical to do.

2.  How did you discover the musical you picked (hereinafter referred to as "your musical")?
Well, I heard about it on the news and about a month before that, it came up when I discovered Les Misérables. I looked on Wikipedia and BOOM!!! The rest is history!!!

3.  If you had to pick three favorite songs from your musical, which ones would they be?
THREE????? Completely unheard of!!! :) Well, one would be "The Phantom of the Opera", "Notes" and "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again/Wandering Child". I'm throwing in one more because I want to. "Think Of Me"

4.  What's your least favorite song from your musical?
You all are going to hate me for this.......First, off "Poor Fool He Makes Me Laugh" and then...... (mumbles and kicks stone) "All I Ask Of You". I'M SO SORRY!!!!! I've never really liked the song. It's wonderful to sing, but I don't really like to listen to it.

5.  Who are your favorite characters (choose up to three)?
Erik, Christine, André and Firmin. YES I picked four, because Firmin goes along with André. They are a team.

6.  Which versions of your musical have you seen/listened to, and which is your favorite?
I've seen most of the POTO 2004 Movie and The Phantom of the Opera at The Royal Albert Hall. The Royal Albert Hall wins hands downs. 

7.   Is this your favorite musical of all time?  If not, what is?
Yes, but it is tied with Les Misérables. YES I CAN TIE IF I WANT TO!!!! :)

8.   Which cast album/musical soundtrack in your collection do you listen to the most?
I don't own any soundtrack. Boy do I wish I own one!!!! But the one I listen to most often is definitely the 25th Anniversary. 

9.   What is your favorite costume from your musical?
Ooiy. I have no idea. I love the Wedding dress, the Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again dress and Sierra Boggess' "All I Ask Of You" dress. 

10.  If you could change anything about your musical, what would you change?
The fact that Christine went with Raoul, and the fact that Erik murdered people.

11.  Which role(s) would you most like to play in any musical, if you had the opportunity to do so on stage?
Not counting that I'm probably not a soprano, I would want to play Christine Daaé from POTO, or Cosette or Eponine from Les Misérables or Christine Daaé from Love Never Dies. 

12.  If you could choose one performer to play any part in your musical, who would you choose and which part would you have them play?
I am not sure. I've never came up with a musical, but Ramin Karimloo is a shoe-in. 

13.  Do you consider yourself a musical theatre fan in general or do you just like a few musicals?
Sadly, I just like a few musicals. (Les Mis, POTO, LND, Newsies) I haven't got much time to explore more. I have many siblings, I'm home schooled, and with a big family, comes a lot of work. I even go with my Dad to work sometimes, so my life is hectic. Hopefully I'll have more time in the future to do some more exploring. But I guess, just to make myself feel better, :) I'll call myself a musical theatre fan in my head.

14.  Are you tired of the word "musical" yet?
Goodness, no!!! Who would get tired or hearing  the word "musical"?

15.  Turn your music playing device on shuffle (or utilize Pandora if you don't have one) and tell us the names of the first three show tunes that come up-- no cheating!  How do these 
rank on your favorites/most-listened-to list?

The ones that came up for my entire list were 
"Epilogue"
"Valjean's Soliloquy"
"On My Own"
Now in order of how I like them:
"Epilogue" - Because we all know how beautiful the movie version is!
"On My Own" - Because we all known that Samantha Barks and Lea Salonga rocks it!
"Valjean's Soliloquy" - Because Hugh Jackman is awesome!

Hope You Enjoyed My Answers!!!


Comments Rule:
Please, use good words. Please do not use my comment box as a battle field, people!!!! If you want to prove a point or your opinion use kind words, please!!! 

2 comments:

  1. Ah I'm so excited someone is doing the Phantom of the Opera! It's amazing. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know!!! Thank you so much for reading!!!
    ~Hannah S.

    ReplyDelete

Everyone has a voice; Make yours heard. Comment below to let me know your thoughts!