Sunday, May 25, 2014

Controversial: That Little Thing About Skirts Or Trousers



Yeeeaaahhh. Time for another controversial. I'm feeling debatable today. Okay. I'm sure that you all have heard about that debatable question about skirts or trousers. I know I have. Following a lot of Christian teenage girl bloggers, I hear or see it. But I don't mind. I find the argument (no, not the one about getting angry, the one about giving reasons to persuade someone that someone else is right) truly intriguing. I've always wanted to do a post on this. A lot of people who wear skirts use this verse as their reasoning: Deuteronomy 22:5 which reads: The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God. But can any of us really know if God meant trousers, specifically? I mean, not to get cocky (seriously), the Bible does not say, "Women shall not wear trousers of any sort because they are for men to wear and men only." I'm just saying. Can any of us really say that we know the exact pieces of clothing that God meant? No, we really can't.

Now, here's my opinion on it: I am a wearer of trousers. I rarely wear skirts and even more rarely, do I wear dresses. I have maybe one skirt that I wear for summer because it's light fabric and it makes me feel less hot. I wear trousers because they extremely comfortable. But just because they're comfortable, doesn't mean that they fit or look appropriate. I mean, there is this phrase: 



Which is so true. I watch what I wear, as does everyone in my family. We care very much about our modesty and covering up, despite us not donning in skirts and dresses everyday.

Look, there's absolutely nothing wrong with wearing skirts. I mean, they really are cute and a lot of girls simply just love them. There's nothing wrong with that. But when these kinds of things come up, things turn into arguments, about which is the "right" thing to wear.




But here's my view on it: Both are okay. Completely 100% okay! My thing is, make sure it covers everything that needs to be covered and maybe even a little more. The shorts I wear in the summer usually meet my knee caps or below. I have one pair that come up to the middle of my thighs that I use for sleeping, scrubbing our bathtubs or walking on our inside treadmill. NEVER would I wear that certain pair outside any of our home doors. Make sure that the skirt/trousers aren't too tight, make sure you can breathe and move around comfortably in them.

The thing is, skirts or trousers both are okay to wear. I've seen shorts that leave little to imagination, same with skirts. I think that as long as you pick wisely, it would still be modest.

As always, I am having two polls on my sidebar. Please vote, I'd love to know what you guys think and even leave a comment so I know who votes what!

So There's My Opinion On The Skirts Vs. Trousers Debate! What's Yours? Vote And/Or Comment!

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I find the modesty debate quite fascinating. I'm not sure if that's a good thing ... but the fact is, posts and articles about it really interest me! Anyway, I believe both trousers and skirts can be modest or immodest. But it's important that anyone who disagrees with another's point of view respects the person's choice.

    And I love the "what people think of it" poster. It's so funny and quite true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo, Anna! This was great. :)

    As you probably know, I'm not against modest pants/shorts at all. I read something really good about this issue recently, about how Christians get way too caught up in arguing (instead of calmly discussing and evaluating) about things like this. But....I can't remember where I read it. I thought I had the page bookmarked, but I can't seem to find it. :(

    Oh well. Thanks for sharing your views! It's great when other Christians (like you!)can share their convictions without making the "other" Christians seem bad for not following their decision. We should be building each other UP in Christ not tearing each other down.
    I'll get off my soapbox now. ;)

    By the way, I was wondering if you could give me some advice. I've heard you mention Newsies a lot, and I happened to find it at my library. Is there any content I should be aware of? Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete

Everyone has a voice; Make yours heard. Comment below to let me know your thoughts!